As with the X and loop techniques, this movement is quite useful in reading material printed in columns, but it can also be used for other types of previewing and reading. In some respects, the physical shape of this motion is a combination of the underlining, the X and the loop. How to execute the motion:
1. Using your index finger, begin two lines down from the top of the page on the left-hand side.
2. Move the index finger from the left to the right of the page under the line.
3. When you reach a point about a half-inch from the right-hand margin, move the finger up the page two lines in a slow curve.
4. Then sweep your finger down across the page about five or six lines to the left margin.
5. Now, move the finger upward two lines in a slow curve. Then, begin to trace that finger under the line of type in an underlining pattern, as you did in Step 2.
6. Repeat down the page.
Was this article helpful?