The Mind Map laws are intended to increase, rather than restrict, your mental freedom. In this context, it is important not to confuse order with rigidity or freedom with chaos. All too often, order is perceived in negative terms as rigid and restrictive. Similarly, freedom is mistaken for chaos and lack of structure. In fact true mental freedom is the ability to create order from chaos. The Mind Map laws will help you do exactly this. They are divided into the laws of technique and the laws of layout:
Develop a personal style
Use numerical order
The recommendations supplement the laws and are sub-divided as follows:
Break mental blocks
Prepare opposite: Natural Architecture Plate 12
SUMMARY OF THE MIND MAP LAWS Techniques
1 Use emphasis
• Always use a central image.
• Use images throughout your Mind Map.
• Use three or more colours per central image.
• Use dimension in images.
• Use synaesthesia (the blending of the physical senses).
• Use variations of size of printing, line and image.
• Use organised spacing.
• Use appropriate spacing.
mat Use association
• Use arrows when you want to make connections within and across the branch pattern.
• Make line length equal to word length.
• Connect lines to other lines.
• Make the central lines thicker.
• Make your boundaries 'embrace' your branch outline.
• Make your images as clear as possible.
• Keep your paper placed horizontally in front of you.
• Keep your printing as upright as possible.
T Develop a personal style
1. Use hierarchy 2
Jm Use numerical order
Was this article helpful?
Of course we all have the same amount of time in the day. But some people struggle to get even the simplest of tasks completed while others can work a weeks worth of jobs into one single day. Time can be our worst enemy or our closest friend. If you are struggling to find the time to get everything in order, if you want to find a way to accomplish a few more dreams and release a few of those huge tasks that seem to be forever hanging over your head, then making time work for you is the key.