Suppose your problem involves ways to improve a wristwatch. Write "Improve a wrist-watch" in the center of a sheet of paper. Then write eight related concepts in surrounding circles: (a) watch hands, (b) wrist strap, (c) date, (d) time, (e) second hand, (f) battery, (g) appointments, and (h) face. Next, generate ideas for each of these elements.
• Watch hands—different shapes on ends, different colors, different designs
• Wrist strap—buckles, metal, different colors, transparent, different widths
• Date—flashing, multicolored, icons for months, written out
• Time—voice activated, voice response, flashing lights
• Second hand—digital, complementary color, gold plated, variable speed
• Battery—recharge in wall outlet, owner can replace
• Appointments—record appointments, beeper reminder, link appointments with other watches
• Face—celebrity faces, pictures of famous landmarks, spinning face
101 Activities for Teaching Creativity and Problem Solving. Copyright © 2005 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Reproduced by permission of Pfeiffer, an Imprint of Wiley. www.pfeiffer.com
Was this article helpful?